All you need to know about applying to be a RubyConf 2021 Opportunity Scholar or Guide! If interested, please read this in full, even if you've applied before.
Opportunity ScholarshipsApply to be a Scholar
RubyConf 2021 is offering a limited number of full conference registration scholarships, open to anyone who would not normally attend, though we specifically encourage students, women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups in the technology sector to apply. The Opportunity Scholarship is a chance to jump in to learn more about Ruby specifically and software development in general.
Here are some things that are included in the Scholarship program in addition to a free ticket to RubyConf 2021:
- Pairing with a Guide, an experienced programmer or conference-goer who has attended RubyConf before and is already familiar with many key players at the conference
- An invitation to a welcome gathering, to meet all of your fellow Scholars and the Guides the night before the conference
- An instant connection to the other Scholars in your cohort, who are also new to the community
- The chance to level up your skills by attending awesome talks throughout the conference and meeting influential people in the community
- An invitation to the online community (platform TBD) for RubyConf 2021 Scholars and Guides. This is a great place to ask any questions of each other before, during, and even after the conference
- Note: we often are able to provide a limited amount of financial support for Scholars' transportation and/or accommodation, due to generous donations from our conference sponsors. This support is provided on a first-come, first-served basis to Scholars who submit their paid actual travel costs for reimbursement. While this is not something that we can guarantee at this early stage, we will update Scholar applicants as soon as we know if this is a possibility. All reimbursements would be capped at $500 USD total per Scholar.
- Note: You do not qualify to apply if you've been a scholar previously. We appreciate your understanding!
Scholarship Deadline: August 13th, 2021, 11:59pm PT
Testimonials from previous Scholars
“I loved being around other junior engineers... I’m the only junior-level engineer at my company right now so it was really nice to be in a community of people who may be in a similar place and to have the guidance and support of more experienced community members.”
"My [guide] was amazing! I loved getting the opportunity to meet with him in advance and have him talk me through what happens at RubyConf. He was also really great about checking in on me and introducing me to people he knew."
Be a RubyConf GuideApply to be a Guide
Want to help bring a new community member into the RubyConf 2021 community? We're looking for volunteer Guides to partner up with this year's Opportunity Scholars.
Scholars are folks new to the Ruby/Rails community, or maybe even new to writing code altogether, and they're ready to have their first -- hopefully transformative -- RubyConf experience. They've been telling us the amazing stories of their path to RubyConf , and we genuinely think they're going to be wonderful additions to our community. What we need from you is to help welcome them in and make them feel at home!
- Be available as a friendly face for your Scholar throughout the whole conference.
- Recommend talks for your Scholar to attend based on his or her interests, current skill levels, and experiences.
- Make introductions between your Scholar and established developers, especially ones that might be particularly influential in his or her areas of interest.
- Give feedback on breaking into the Ruby work-world, as your Scholar is likely looking for their first Ruby programming gig!
Please fill out the entire application, as we use what you've written here to make the best Scholar/Guide matches that we can, ones that we hope are highly beneficial for both parties. Even if you've been a Guide before, the more info you give us, the easier it makes the process. If we don't have a good sense of who you are and what type of Guide you'd be from your application, it's difficult to make a good match. We anticipate this application takes 10-15 minutes to complete.
Timing of Response
With our commitment to making productive Scholar/Guide matches, we will not be responding to Guide applications until we have made specific matches with Scholars, which we hope to do by Friday, September 24. Guide applicants whom we are not able to match with a specific Scholar will be waitlisted -- this is not in any way a statement on the strength of those applications, but rather just the result of the specific matches made with our accepted Scholars.
While Guides are responsible for obtaining their own tickets to RubyConf, we also realize that the deadline for this application may come up before you are ready to commit to attending RubyConf. If you think there is any chance that you'd attend, we'd ask you to apply anyway, even if you might have to withdraw at a later date.Apply to be a Guide
Guide Deadline: August 13, 2021, 11:59pm PT
Testimonials from previous Guides
“I love being able to act as a friendly face in a sea of strangers for someone who probably looks nothing like them and might be intimidated being at this conference for the first time. I like being able to welcome new people to the community and providing a kind of social oasis.”
“I enjoyed helping my scholar feel included at the conference and excited about all the opportunities being a scholar gave her. I also enjoyed seeing her grow.”